Today is the birthday of Duke Kahanamoku, the American swimming champion of Hawaiian descent who is credited with popularizing surfing. Duke reminds us of the benefits of surfing and why it’s such a great thing to do with your time. Here are a few reasons why even a bad day surfing it better than working.
1. It’s Outdoors: You get to be outside in nature, enjoying the water.
2. It’s Healthy: It keeps you in shape!
3. There’s Animals: Sometimes you run into wildlife.
4. …And Pets: If you want, you can bring your best friend.
5. It’s Good for You: Surfing is an excellent way to relieve stress.
7. You Get to Hang Out With Friends: Surfing is a great thing to do with friends.
8. You Can Teach Your Kids: It’s an activity you can pass along to your kids.
9. Vitamin D: It’s a great way to get some sun.
10. Fun: Mostly, surfing is just a lot more fun than work….or, if you’re Kelly Slater, it is your work and that’s awesome too.